Welcome to Burn and Shine!

After a lengthy hiatus, I'm back. Thanks for stopping by!

Saturday, June 20, 2020

Proto Power Pop! [The Resurrection of Burn and Shine?]


Hello folks, not sure if anybody cares, but I thought I'd start sharing playlists again. I've finally decided to give Spotify a go after years of shying away from it. Format will be the same, all of my playlists will still fit onto an 80-minute CDR, you just won't be able to download them. I am at the mercy of what is available on Spotify, so that compromises my choices a little, but it also forces me to be a little more creative.

My first two playlists are up and running. I've labeled them Proto Power Pop and Proto Power Pop V.2, but they are essentially one big document of the music that I think might have inspired some of our favorite Power Poppers later. I posted an early version of the first playlist in the "I Love Power Pop" Facebook group and got some great feedback. Lots of great suggestions for choice of songs and artists. In fact, I had so many great suggestions that I had to make a second playlist.

Here are the tracklistings. Each volume is roughly in chronological order:

V.1

01. The Kinks - Tired of Waiting For You (Jan '65)
02. The Remains - Why Do I Cry (Mar '65)
03. The Bobby Fuller Four - Let Her Dance (Jun '65)
04. The Byrds - I'll Feel a Whole Lot Better (Aug '65)
05. The Hollies - Look Through Any Window (Sep '65)
06. The Lovin' Spoonful - Didn't Have To Be So Nice (Nov '65)
07. The Beach Boys - Girl Don't Tell Me (Dec '65)
08. The Mascots - Words Enough to Tell You (Dec '65)
09. The Action - I'll Keep On Holding On (Feb '66)
10. Link Cromwell - Crazy Like a Fox (Mar '66)
11. The Creation - Try and Stop Me (Jun '66)
12. The Troggs - With a Girl Like You (Jul '66)
13. The Turtles - Outside Chance (Jul '66)
14. The Beatles - And Your Bird Can Sing (Aug '66)
15. Small Faces - All or Nothing (Aug '66)
16. Love - I Can't Explain (Sep '66)
17. The Monkees - Last Train to Clarksville (Oct '66)
18. Simon & Garfunkel - A Hazy Shade of Winter (Oct '66)
19. The Who - So Sad About Us (Dec '66)
20. The Merry-Go-Round - Live (Jan '67)
21. Tommy James & the Shondells - I Think We're Alone Now (Jan '67)
22. The Move - I Can Hear the Grass Grow (Mar '67)
23. Left Banke - She May Call You Up Tonight (Sep '66)
24. The Rolling Stones - She's a Rainbow [Single Version] (Dec '67)
25. The Zombies - Friends of Mine (Apr '68)
26. The Easybeats - Land of Make Believe (Jul '68)
27. The Nazz - Open My Eyes (Jul '68)
28. The Iveys - Maybe Tomorrow (Nov '68)
29. The Archies - Sugar, Sugar (May '69)
30. The Clique - Superman (Jun '69)

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/269Iy44klMWBrZIjsHckz1


V. 2

01. Buddy Holly - Maybe Baby (Feb '58)
02. The Everly Brothers - Cathy's Clown (Apr '60)
03. Little Eva - Keep Your Hands Off My Baby (Oct '62)
04. Martha Reeves & the Vandellas - Heat Wave (Jul '63)
05. Dusty Springfield - I Only Want To Be With You (Dec '63)
06. The Searchers - Needles & Pins (Jan '64)
07. The Cookies - I Never Dreamed (Jun '64)
08. Herman's Hermits - I'm Into Something Good (Aug '64)
09. Roy Orbison - Oh, Pretty Woman (Aug '64)
10. The Honeycombs - Have I the Right (Nov '64)
11. The Dave Clark Five - Any Way You Want It (Nov '64)
12. The Beau Brummels - Just a Little (Mar '65)
13. The Eyes - When the Night Falls (Nov '65)
14. The Knickerbockers - Lies (Nov '65)
15. The Association - Along Comes Mary (Mar '66)
16. Clefs of Lavender Hill - Stop Get a Ticket (Apr '66)
17. The Brigands - (Would I Still Be) Her Big Man (Apr '66)
18. The Choir - It's Cold Outside (Oct '66)
19. The Ronettes - I Can Hear Music (Oct '66)
20. The Del-Vetts - That's the Way It Is (Dec '66)
21. The Music Machine - Masculine Intuition (Dec '66)
22. The Five Americans - Western Union (Jan '67)
23. The Music Explosion - Little Bit O' Soul (Mar '67)
24. Paul Revere & the Raiders - Him or Me, What's It Going To Be (Apr '67)
25. The Equals - Baby Come Back (Jun '67)
26. Creedence Clearwater Revival - Call It Pretending (Oct '67)
27. Del Shannon - My Love Has Gone (1967)
28. Graham Gouldman - No Milk Today (Feb '68)
29. Terry Reid - Speak Now or Forever Hold Your Peace (1969)
30. The Kinks (Dave Davies) - Mindless Child of Motherhood (1969)

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/7qbX4QLXLONsrpQChRAus9

As always comments and criticisms welcome. Happy listening!

4 comments:

rev.b said...

Wow, you're back, sort of. I only your blog yeasterday while poking around for some GbV/Pollard related inquiry. Any idea how actice you might be? I'd be happy to addBurn and Shine to my check in list. Either way,, thanks for all your good works.

Maximum Jack said...

Thanks for the kind words rev.b. I can't believe August is already here. I can't promise a timeline, but I will post here occasionally moving forward. I'm working on a 90s Power Pop series. Stay tuned!

dictsang said...

Welcome back!! I worship at the altar of your earlier comps and am so thrilled to see you back after 10 years -- I downloaded those OG comps very shortly after they were posted, way back in my first year of college (!). Time flies!

heartsofstone said...

Wow - so glad that you are back. What a pleasant surprise.