Sunday, December 22, 2013
I guess I kinda kept everyone hanging, but as you probably surmised, this blog is now officially dead. I continue to make comps, but due to the problems with file sharing sites, this has become too much of a burden for me. I'll let the url live on, but I will not be making any more updates, nor will I post new links for comps. Thanks for reading.
Burn and Shine
Thursday, December 13, 2012
From the Kickstarter website:
Dear BEAUTIFUL NOISE Backers:
We crossed the funding goal with 3 days to go thanks to every one of you awesome backers! Thank you so much, you have made this project a reality, after 8 years of hard work and dedication this movie is going to be released!
But wait, there's more! We still need your involvement. When coming up with our goal we calculated the minimum amount we needed to get the film released. Now that we have made it to that amount, we could definitely use more funds to pay for additional songs, footage, for post production sweetening and manufacturing costs that will enhance the final film.
So stay tuned and stay involved. Only 3 days left to be a part of this campaign. Please keep spreading the word: http://kck.st/RX9lFK
Eric, Sarah & the 'Beautiful Noise' team.
This is great news! Can't wait to see it.
I also stumbled upon this Fantastic compilation yesterday and thought I'd share it with you. It is a nice companion piece to my Shoegaze Primer: Obscure Shoegaze Vol. 1 Complied by Ursula 1000
"Love Sick" by Fury Things (Cheree Records 1990)
"Shy Me" by Nature Things (Action Records 1991)
"Change You Leaving" by Feral (Lust Recordings 1991)
"Mirrored" by Drop (Chapter 22 1991)
"Slyde" by Blair 1523 (Wilde Club Records 1992)
"Sunriser" by That Uncertain Feeling (Dead Dead Good 1991)
"Something Sonic" by Beautiful Happiness (Cheree 1990)
"Who's" by The Ecstasy of Saint Theresa (Ecstasy Release 1991)
"Ride" by The Lavender Faction (Lust Recordings 1990)
"Need To Be" by Headtime (Cherry Red 1991)
"Saints & Razors" by Aenone (kokopop 1993)
"Jealousy Comes To The Rescue" by Flood (Quarry 1991)
"Space Ship" by The Suncharms (Wilde Club Records 1991)
"Give Her Tomorrow" by The Waiting Sound (Engergy-Vent 1990)
"Sugar I Swear" by Whipping Boy (Cheree 1990)
If you download it from SoundCloud, it is just one big mp3 (nearly and hour long). I'll be honest, I'd never heard any of these songs before I downloaded it. In fact, the only artist that I was familiar, was Flood-- and I only know him due to his production credits. Don't let that discourage you from giving this a listen, there is not a weak track in the bunch!
Sunday, December 9, 2012
First of all, I'm aware that Mediafire has taken down some of my public links. I will upload the Christmas Redux series some time this week. I'm not sure if MF has taken down any of my other links, if so I'm not sure what I'm going to do. We shall see. As far as I know, the Divshare links are still okay-- if not, let me know, thanks.
I do have a new compilation for you today. I was not planning this, but I thought I would do my part to help spread the word about a great new Shoegaze documentary that desperately needs our help. Please watch the trailer below:
If you are fan of Shoegaze (or guitar) music at all, please consider making a donation. More info here: Beautiful Noise Documentary. There's a little less than a week to go, and those DVD's would make great stocking stuffers!
In the meantime, feel free to download my 20-track Shoegaze primer. Not sure if all the artists I've used are featured in the film, but I feel like this is a pretty good representation of the British Shoegaze scene of the late 80's/early 90's. Happy listening!
Beautiful Noise: A Shoegaze Primer
01. 14 Iced Bears, "Inside"
02. Lush, "Stray"
03. The Jesus & Mary Chain, "The Hardest Walk"
04. The Telescopes, "Flying"
05. Ride, "Like a Daydream"
06. Flying Saucer Attack, "Past"
07. My Bloody Valentine, "(When you Wake) You're Still in a Dream"
08. House of Love, "Christine"
09. Kitchens of Distinction, "Quick as Rainbows"
10. Cocteau Twins, "Sugar Hiccup"
11. Catherine Wheel, "Crank"
12. Slowdive, "Alison"
13. Swervedriver, "Blowin' Cool"
14. The Boo Radleys, "I Hang Suspended"
15. Curve, "Superblaster"
16. Chapterhouse, "Breather"
17. The Verve, "Gravity Grave"
18. Spacemanen 3, "Take Me To the Other Side"
19. Bleach, "Trip & Slide"
20. Pale Saints, "Sight of You"
Total Time: 1:13:42
Download it here: Beautiful Noise: A Shoegaze Primerd
[Please note that if you download the compilation, the track listing will not be in the order I listed above. I did not take the time to sequence this comp. Instead, I just placed the tracks in order from shortest to longest.]
Saturday, December 1, 2012
Hey Folks, kicking off the Yuletide Season a little early this year at Burn and Shine! I've already seen an increase in traffic for some of my older Christmas posts, so I think most of you are ready for some new Holiday tunes. In case you happen to be finding this blog for the first time and would like more Christmas Compilations just click HERE to find the other six volumes in my Christmas Redux Series. See you around the turn of the new year for my best of 2012 compilation-- that is, if the Mayans were wrong . . .
Christmas Redux Seven
01. Charles Brown, "Please Come Home For Christmas"
02. Strawberry Whiplash, "Santa Needs a Holiday"
03. The Spongetones, "Christmas Boy"
04. Grenadine, "Jingle Bells"
05. The Old 97's, "Here It Is Christmas"
06. The Pristeens, "Christmas is a Time For Giving"
07. Martin Newell, "Christmas in Suburbia"
08. She & Him, "Christmas Day"
09. Lazy Cowgirls, "Sock It To Me Santa"
10. Everything But the Girl, "25th December"
11. The Next Door Neighbors,"Letters To Santa (From Four Real Girls)"
12. The Recital, "Hey Mr. Christmas, Why the Long Face?"
13. Don Kriss, "Jingle Bell Rock"
14. The Catskills, "Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)"
15. Green Day, "Christmas Day"
16. Coconut Records, "It's Christmas"
17. Eux Autres, "Teenage Christmas"
18. Dada, "My Baby Fell For Old St. Nick"
19. Lee Rogers, "You Won't Have To Wait Till Christmas"
20. Guster, "Tiny Tree Christmas"
21. Liz Phair, "Winter Wonderland"
22. Stiff Little Fingers, "White Christmas"
23. The Magnetic Fields, "Everything is One Big Christmas Tree"
24. Redd Kross, "Super Sunny Christmas"
25. Comet Gain, "Asleep on the Snow"
Total Time: 1:10:52
Download it here: Christmas Redux Seven
Saturday, November 3, 2012
We've made it to November, which means we get to celebrate some songs that are a quarter of a century old here at Burn and Shine. This is the fourth such compilation that I've shared, and if you are interested in the others click on these links: 1986, 1985 and 1984.
Not much to say about 1987, but I will mention that the brilliant comedy, Planes, Trains and Automobiles, came out that year and it is far and away the greatest Thanksgiving movie ever. Be sure and watch it again some time this month.
Lots of jangle on here for those of you so inclined.
01. Sex Clark Five, “I Want You Mine”
02. Material Issue, “She’s Goin’ Through My Head”
03. Scrawl, “Standing Around”
04. The Jesus & Mary Chain, “About You”
05. Paul Kelly, “Before the Old Man Died
06. They Might Be Giants, “Don’t Let’s Start” (Single Version)
07. Big Dipper, “She’s Fetching”
08. Pastels, “Crawl Babies”
09. Dumptruck, “Going Nowhere”
10. U2, “Sweetest Thing”
11. American Music Club, “Outside This Bar”
12. The Stems, “For Always”
13. Julian Cope, “Saint Julian”
14. Flying Color, “Dear Friend”
15. The Blue Aeroplanes, “Bury Your Love Like Treasure”
16. The Fastbacks, “K Street”
17. The Chills, “House With 100 Rooms”
18. Young Fresh Fellows, “Get Outta My Cave”
19. The Stone Roses, “Sally Cinnamon”
20. Will & the Bushmen, “Bus Stop”
21. Concrete Blonde, “Still In Hollywood”
22. Able Tasmans, “Sour Queen”
23. X, “4th of July”
24. Blue Rodeo, “5 Will Get You Six”
25. Spacemen 3, “Walkin’ With Jesus”
Total Time: 1:19:43
Download it here: 1987