Welcome to Burn and Shine!

After a lengthy hiatus, I'm back. Thanks for stopping by!

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

My Little Girl Is Turning One!



Happy Birthday Maria Justine! Whew, I can't believe it's been a year already. In light of this momentous occasion, I thought I'd put together a special "Girl" themed comp. Last year after our birth announcements went out, we got a fabulous disc from our good friend Laura (who, by the way, has a most excellent radio show/blog here: Needles + Pins ) titled "Oh, Girl - Welcome MJ!" I can't tell you how many times we listened to it. Even though she snagged many of the best "Girl" songs, I managed to find a few that I thought were pretty good as well. With her permission (fingers crossed!) I would gladly share her compilation here at Burn and Shine. For the time being, you'll just have to whet your appetite with mine.

A couple of quick words about my comp. My last installment featured the first Rolling Stones appearance, and today's playlist features the Who making their first showing on a Burn and Shine compilation. Seriously, I have no idea why it has taken me so long for either of these artists, but I'm sure they will show up again in the future. I actually left off one of my favorite Kinks tracks, "Nothin' in This World Can Stop Me Worryin' 'Bout My Girl", because they have shown up a few times already-- go figure. Finally, I just wanted to be sure that you realize that track #22 is actually by an American band called the Bats which featured Jon Brion-- not to be confused with the fantastic New Zealand combo of the same name, which have not yet been featured on B&S.

Happy Listening!

Girl:

01. Paul Westerberg, “You’re My Girl” [0:28]
02. Television Personalities, “Silly Girl” [2:47]
03. The Dukes of the Stratosphear, “Vanishing Girl” [2:30]
04. The Hollies, “Little Girl” [3:02]
05. Edwyn Collins, “Girl Like You” [3:59]
06. The Who, “Glow Girl” [2:26]
07. The Descendents, “Silly Girl” [2:23]
08. Marshall Crenshaw, “Cynical Girl” [2:37]
09. X, “Poor Girl” [2:54]
10. The Only Ones, “Another Girl, Another Planet” [3:02]
11. Blondie, “Sunday Girl” [3:06]
12. The Shazam, “C’mon Girl” [3:05]
13. The Chords, “Hey Girl” [2:17]
14. Hoodoo Gurus, “My Girl” [2:41]
15. The Ramones, “My-My Kind of Girl” [3:32]
16. The Go-Go’s, “Girl of 100 Lists” [2:21]
17. Primal Scream, “Velocity Girl” [1:23]
18. The Red Button, “Cruel Girl” [2:43]
19. The Smiths, “Girl Afraid” [2:49]
20. Bram Tchaikovsky, “Girl of My Dreams” [4:12]
21. The Left Banke, “Let Go of You Girl” [2:53]
22. The Bats [Boston], “Not My Girl Anymore” [3:21]
23. The Easybeats, “Pretty Girl” [2:16]
24. Terry Reid, “Superlungs My Super Girl” [2:43]
25. Paul McCartney & Wings, “Mama’s Little Girl” [3:42]

Total Time: 1:09:11

Download it here: Girl!

2 comments:

laura said...

Happy Birthday, MJ! Please be sure and send some pictures from the party. And as for the girl comp, flattery will get you everywhere. Post away!

Maximum Jack said...

Thanks LCP, and tell your hubby happy b-day for me.