Welcome to Burn and Shine!

After a lengthy hiatus, I'm back. Thanks for stopping by!

Friday, December 25, 2009

Burn and Shine's Favorite Songs of 2009



First of all, Merry Christmas. I'm stealing a few minutes away from our annual, Xmas Star Wars Marathon (Just the original three-- minus all the crappy bonus footage that was added in the 90s) to bring you my favorite songs of 2009. No mean feat, considering we were up until 2am last night decorating the Christmas Tree (I know, right?) and putting together MJ's first bicycle!

There is a top 26 this year, with "Plans" by Dinosaur Jr. (see video above) topping the list. #'s 2-26 can be found on this, the final compilation of the year (and, I guess, the decade). While I would like to take the time to give you a commentary on each of the songs, I really need to get back to Lucas and Co.

Before I go though, I'd like to invite you all back just after the new year as I have a little tribute to the aughts in store-- and of course my final albums list for the year (still sorting through a few last minute items). Look for some new installments of my Birth of Power Pop series (those of you who got hard copies know what I'm talking about, the rest of you will be caught up soon!) early in 2010 (Maybe February?).

Otherwise have a Happy New Year and, as always, Happy Listening!

Favorite Songs of 2009:

02. Johnny Marr & Neil Finn ~ “Too Blue”
03. The Fresh & Only’s ~ “Feelings in My Heart”
04. The Disciplines ~ “Best Mistake”
05. Best Coast ~ “When I’m With You”
06. Generationals ~ “When They Fight, They Fight”
07. Mount Eerie ~ “Between Two Mysteries”
08. The Almighty Defenders ~ “Cone of Light”
09. Grant Hart ~ “California Zephyr”
10. The Bats ~ “Steppin’ Out”
11. Built to Spill ~ “Hindsight”
12. Outrageous Cherry ~ “Anymore”
13. A.C. Newman ~ “Like a Hitman, Like a Dancer”
14. El Goodo ~ “Don’t Worry Marie”
15. Superchunk ~ “Crossed Wires”
16. J. Tillman ~ “James Blues”
17. Brendon Benson ~ “Don’t Want to Talk”
18. The Pains of Being Pure at Heart ~ “A Teenager in Love”
19. Tim Easton ~ “7th Wheel”
20. The xx ~ “Crystalised”
21. The Black Hollies ~ “Gloomy Monday Morning”
22. Superdrag ~ “Ready to Go”
23. Ty Segall ~ “Die Tonight”
24. Vivian Girls ~ “Moped Girls”
25. The Clean ~ “In the Dreamlife U Need a Rubber Soul”
26. Wilco ~ “You and I”

Total Time: 1:17:30

Download it here: Burn and Shine's Favorite Songs of 2009

No comments: