Welcome to Burn and Shine!

After a lengthy hiatus, I'm back. Thanks for stopping by!

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Happy Halloween!



We are less than two weeks out from Halloween, so I figured I'd go ahead and post my annual volume of Candy Apples & Razor Blades, so that those of you who will be hosting Halloween parties this weekend will have some new tunes to impress your friends. [Edited to add: that was a joke!] Halloween also marks the official anniversary of Burn and Shine-- it turns two this year! It has been really fun posting my comps here, and those of you who have commented, I really appreciate it-- keep those comments coming! If you are new to B&S and would like to find the first two compilations in this series, please click on the "Halloween" tag at the bottom of this post.

Before I say a few words about the new Halloween comp, I'd like to call your attention to the following trailer for a new series which debuts on AMC on Halloween night called The Walking Dead:



It looks awesome, so if you can't watch it that night, be sure to set your DVRs! That's all I'll say about it, feel free to use the search engine of your choice to find out more as there is lots of internet chatter going on about it.

As for this year's edition of CA&RB, it was a treat putting it together. Some returning players from previous Halloween comps are Roky Erickson and the Misfits, of course. I imagine Burn & Shine will be long gone before I run out of songs by those two Halloween friendly artists. Superdrag makes their second appearance on CA&RB with "Take Your Spectre Away" from their split EP with the Anniversary. Helium, which was the very last band I cut when I put together my Matador @ 21 compilation earlier this month, makes their first appearance on any compilation here at Burn and Shine. And of course, there are several more Post Punk bands on here: Australia's Beasts of Bourbon, Boston's La Peste, Tulsa's Los Reactors, and Tucson's Green on Red. There are others that I'd like to mention, but I'll just finish by telling you that the compilation ends with a request. One of my faithful readers asked for "Halloween" by the Dream Syndicate via email shortly after I posted last year's comp. How could I resist?

Creepy Listening!

Candy Apples & Razor Blades Vol. 3: Still More Music for All Hallow's Eve!

01. "Superstitious" [1968] from the Monkees' Head
02. "The Witch" [1964], The Sonics
03. "Bloodletting (The Vampire Song)" [1990], Concrete Blonde
04. "Going to Hell" [1998], The Brian Jonestown Massacre
05. "Ghouls Night Out" [1986], The Misfits
06. "Ghost Ride" [2006], Nebula
07. "Wanna Be a Vampire Too, Baby [1994], Helium
08. "She's Wicked" [1985, Peel Session], The Fuzztones
09. "She is the New Thing" [2007], The Horrors
10. "Mommy's Little Monster" [1983], Social Distortion
11. "Zombie Boy" [2008], The Magnetic Fields
12. "Devil Song" [1988], Camper Van Beethoven
13. "Take Your Spectre Away" [2001], Superdrag
14. "Stake Thru My Heart" [1998], The Fiends
15. "Psycho" [1984], Beasts of Bourbon
16. "I Put a Spell on You" [1967], Creedence Clearwater Revival
17. "A Guide to the Worlds Most Fantastic Monsters" [2009], Hallelujah the Hills
18. "There's a Ghost in My House" [1967], R. Dean Taylor
19. "Black Coffin" [2009], The Fresh & Onlys
20. "Black Night" [1982], Green on Red
21. "Witching Stone" [2009], Black Heart Procession
22. "Be a Zombie" [1981], Los Reactors
23. "Haunt" [1986], Roky Erickson
24. "Better Off Dead" [1978], La Peste
25. "Halloween" [1982], Dream Syndicate



Total Time: 1:15:58

Download it here: Candy Apples & Razor Blades Vol. 3: Still More Music for All Hallow's Ever

1 comment:

Nazz Nomad said...

cool mix. i am a huge fan of the walking dead and get wait til the mini series