Welcome to Burn and Shine!

After a lengthy hiatus, I'm back. Thanks for stopping by!

Sunday, October 30, 2011

Psychedelic Sundaze #13


















When I first mentioned I was working on this series (way back in July), I thought it would be 10-discs and 200 tracks-- about the same as the two Nuggets box sets. As I continued to work on it, it got a little longer. I finally settled on 12 volumes, but as I posted them here, I kept finding stuff that I had missed-- either in my collection or via some of the GREAT Psychedelic blogs that are out there. So I made one more playlist for these tracks and figured I'd just keep them handy and if I had enough for another volume I'd just tack it on at the end. Well I ended up with 26 more tracks. I'm sure the Burn and Shine book is not closed on this era, but this final volume with it's 26 tracks will put it to bed for awhile.

A few quick tidbits about the bonus disc selections. First, our cover boys The Action, make an appearance with a song from an album that did not get an official release until 2002, Rolled Gold. Usually when you hear these so-called, "Great Lost Albums" they really aren't that great. Not so with this one. RG is the real deal, and should have put the Action in the upper echelons of the British Invasion.

One of the last tracks I selected for this compilation is the Big Star track titled "Psychedelic Stuff", which is really a Chris Bell track. This was featured on the Big Star box set that came out a couple of years ago. Even if you have the three proper Big Star albums, you need this set-- it was lovingly done.

The series closes out with a track written and sung by Bill Wyman. I believe it was the first such song in the Rolling Stones discography (was there another?). It was featured on their terribly underrated album Their Satanic Magesties Request, which I'll go on record here saying that it's a better album than Sgt. Pepper's.

Oh, one more thing. My three year old daughter has discovered the Monkees. I have the first season on DVD, and we've been watching them with her. I did not remember "Take a Giant Step" from their first album, written by Goffin & King. It would have been on here, but I had already zipped the file when we watched that particular episode. Anywho, I thought I'd share it via a youtube clip:




Happy listening!

Tiny Purple Fishes: A Trip Through the First Psychedelic Era (Bonus Disc)

01. The Monks, “Shut Up” [1966]. U.S./Germany
02. Alice Cooper, “Changing Arranging” [1969]. U.S. (Michigan)
03. The Blades of Grass, “I Love You Alice B. Toklas” [1967]. U.S. (New York)
04. Shocking Blue, “Love Buzz” [1969]. Netherlands
05. The Golden Dawn, “Evolution” [1968]. U.S. (Texas)
06. Plastic Penny, “Wake Me Up” [1968]. U.K. (England)
07. Del Shannon, “Silver Birch” [1968]. U.S. (born in Michigan)
08. The Clouds, “I’ll Go Girl” [1968]. U.K. (Scotland)
09. Ultimate Spinach, “Ego Trip” [1967]. U.S. (Massachusetts)
10. Andromeda, “Day of the Change” [1969]. U.K. (England)
11. The Attack, “Colour of My Mind” [1967]. U.K. (England)
12. Dean Carter, “Rebel Woman” [1967]. U.S. (Illinois)
13. Graham Gouldman, “Impossible Years” [1968]. U.K. (England)
14. GTO’s, “The Ghost Chained to the Past, Present and Future (Shock Treatment)” [1969].
15. The Everly Brothers, “So Lonely” [1966]. U.S. (Kentucky)
16. Savage Resurrection, “Someone’s Changing” [1968]. U.S. (California)
17. Bodast, “1,000 Years” [ca. 1969]. U.K. (England)
18. Synanthesia, “Fates” [1969]. U.K. (England)
19. New Colony Six, “Let Me Love You” [1967]. U.S. (Illinois)
20. The Great Society, “Free Advice” [1966]. U.S. (California)
21. The Action, “Brain” [ca. 1968]. U.K. (England)
22. Love Sculpture, “River to Another Day” [1968]. U.K. (Wales)
23. Sons of Adam, “Feathered Fish” [1966]. U.S. (California)
24. Halfnelson, “Saccharine and the War” [1968]. U.S. (California)
25. Big Star (Chris Bell), “Psychedelic Stuff” [ca. 1968]. U.S. (Tennessee)
26. Bill Wyman, “In Another Land” [1967]. U.K. (England)

Total Time: 1:14:36

Download it here: Tiny Purple Fishes, (Bonus Disc)

3 comments:

Chris S. said...

Great stuff--thanks so much for assembling these. Wonderful songs.

I've been adding many of your picks to the automated programmer at the local low-powered radio station--I think everyone is going to enjoy them.

Maximum Jack said...

The idea that some of these songs are being played on the radio, warms my heart. Where do you live? Does the station broadcast via the internet?

Chris S. said...

It's a small community station in Bisbee, AZ--a former mining town down by the border. The website is http://www.kbrpradio.com

Has only a 4 mile terrestrial range--but does stream 24/7 at http://www.kbrpradio.com/Stream.aspx

Hope you get a chance to tune in sometime! The library is currently about 30,000 tunes & we aim to be eclectic.