Welcome to Burn and Shine!

After a lengthy hiatus, I'm back. Thanks for stopping by!

Saturday, November 19, 2011

1986.



Thanksgiving is right around the corner, which means it's time for me to celebrate songs that are a quarter century old. This is the third installment, please see 1984 and 1985 for the first two discs in this ongoing series.

1986 has a little bit of meaning for me, as it was the year I graduated from high school. It is also the year I went to boot camp, had my heart broken by the New York Mets and bought my first car (how I miss you VW Golf!). By the next year, I would be out in sunny San Diego, in a land of great radio. 91X in San Diego was where I heard a lot of the bands represented here for the first time. This was before "X" meant "EXTREME". I still hate that word.

Happy Thanksgiving and Happy Listening!

01. Drivin'n'Cryin', "Scarred But Smarter"
02. R.E.M., "Superman"
03. The Smithereens, "Behind the Wall of Sleep"
04. The Windbreakers, "Don't Wanna Know"
05. Bodeans, "Fadeaway"
06. The Go-Betweens, "Spring Rain"
07. The Woodentops, "Get It On"
08. Elvis Costello, "I Hope You're Happy Now"
09. Steve Earle, "Guitar Town"
10. The Godfathers, "I Want You"
11. The Triffids, "She's Sure the Girl I Love"
12. fIREHOSE, "Brave Captain"
13. Moving Targets, "Faith"
14. Dumptruck, "Alone"
15. Yo La Tengo, "The Cone of Silence"
16. Scruffy the Cat, "Buy a Car"
17. Billy Bragg, "Levi Stubb's Tears"
18. The Feelies, "Let's Go"
19. XTC, "Earn Enough for Us"
20. The Housemartins, "Happy Hour"
21. That Petrol Emotion, "It's a Good Thing"
22. Tommy Keene, "Places That Are Gone"
23. Don Dixon, "Southside Girl"
24. New Salem Witch Hunters, "Falling"
25. Trotsky Icepick, "The Gaslight"

Total Time: 1:15:36

Download it here: 1986

2 comments:

Yolanda said...

1986 is also the year your first niece was born! :)

I'm excited to download this one.

Maximum Jack said...

Yep, I can't believe you are 25. That makes me . . . er, um . . . old.